Monday, April 9, 2012

Kobo Touch eReader & Customer Support




Above is a picture of my Kobo Touch eReader. On wednesday last week I decided to upload the second Hunger Games trilogy book 'Catching Fire' to my Kobo eReader. I got my Kobo for Christmas 2011 from my mother in law. She bought it at the Chapters location in Langley. The Hunger Games book was the third ebook that I had installed on my Kobo. I was slowly getting used to the idea of reading books on the eReader. I had a protective case for it and was thinking of completing my New Jersey Housewife motif by getting a new Zebra print cover.

I am an avid reader and am always ording books of chapters.ca and amazon.ca & amazon.com.

So imagine my horror when instead of reading about Katniss and Peeta I was met with this screen!
Here is a copy of the email exchange between me & Kobo customer Service. They didn't even bother to spell check the Please Fuck Off response:


Recently you requested personal assistance from our on-line support center. Below is a summary of your request and our response.

If this issue is not resolved to your satisfaction, you may reopen it within the next 10 days.

Thank you for allowing us to be of service to you.


Subject
RMA - Kobo Touch

Discussion Thread
Response Via Email (Chantelle S) 04/09/2012 02:35 PM
Hi Anastasia,

We apologize that you feel this way, but according to our warranty:

"You eReader must be shipped, prepaid and insured by you, in its original packaging, together with proof of purchase (i.e., a dated purchase or gift receipt) and the RMA number provided by Kobo, to the address specified by Kobo. If you purchased the Extended Protection Plan Limited Warranty, Kobo will be responsible for the cost of shipping your eReader to Kobo from within Canada or the United States."

"When Kobo receives your eReader, it will examine it and determine whether it is covered by this Limited Warranty. If, upon examination, Kobo determines that your eReader is covered by this Limited Warranty and an advance replacement eReader has not already been provided to your, Kobo will, within a reasonable period of time, at its option, do one of the following: (i) replace your eReader with a new or refurbished model of equal or greater value; or (ii) repair your eReader using new or refurbished parts. If your eReader is covered by this Limited Warranty, Kobo will send the replacement or repaired eReader to you within Canada or the United States, at Kobo’s cost and by Kobo’s choice of carrier."

Because you do not have the Extended Warranty purcahsed, you are responsible for paying the shipping fees. As well, seeing as the device was not purchased through Kobo, we are unable to organize an exchange for you at Chapters.

We sincerely apologize for any inconveniences caused but these are our policies that we must follow.

Sincerely,
The Kobo Team

Customer By Email (Anastasia Redekop) 04/09/2012 01:46 AM
I want to be very clear that you are asking me to pay to ship and insure my broken Kobo to you so that you 'work on it' and return it to me within 3 weeks?
I have owned this Kobo touch since Deceber 2011. It has 3 books loaded onto it - it has not been heavily used.
When I purchased the third book (Catching Fire) and tried to load it onto the Kobo I was instructed to complete a Kobo 'update'. The book finally loaded and I was able to read three chapters. I turned the device off, and when I returned to it the following day the screen was displaying 'Restoring your Device to Factry Defaults... - this will take several minutes'. The screen did not change. I took it to the Chapters store where it was purchased and they in turn contacted Kono customer service.
I did not damage the Kobo and this appears to be a defective Kobo.
Obviously I am not impressed with this offer to 'fix' the Kobo. I want to exchange the Kobo that I have for a new one right away at the point to sale location (Chapters in Langley). If that is not possible I want Kobo to provide me with a shipping label and PO number to ship the Kobo back to you in Ontario (at your cost) and once my defective Kobo is received I want a new one couriered to me immediately.
I am a blogger, and an active member in my community. I will talk, tweet, status update and blog about this experience if it is not rectified to my satisfaction.
Sincerely, Anastasia Redekop

From: help@kobobooks.com
To: anastasiaredekop@hotmail.com
Date: Sat, 7
Apr 2012 17:13:39 -0400
Subject: RMA - Kobo Touch [Incident: 120405-000685]
Response Via Email (Chantelle S) 04/07/2012 05:13 PM
Hi Anastasia,

Your Kobo eReader appears to be defective or damaged and will need to be exchanged. Per the terms and conditions of the STANDARD LIMITED WARRANTY you will be required to ship and insure your defective Kobo eReader to the following address:

*** Please be advised that in-person deliveries from Kobo customers to Ingram Micro will not be accepted under any circumstances ***

Kobo c/o Ingram Micro Logistics
Branch 40 - CATO
88 Foster Cr - Dock 9
Mississauga, ON, Canada L5R4A1

Please be sure to clearly indicate the letters "RMA" and your help ticket number which is 120405-000685 on package or it will not be accepted.

Please do not place any accessories in the package (eReader manuals, receipts, Gela skins, etc.). THESE ITEMS WILL NOT BE RETURNED SHOULD THEY BE INCLUDED.

Once you have mailed the device, please provide us with the name of the shipping company you used, and the tracking number they provided to you via response to this email.

Upon receipt and inspection of the device we will send you a replacement.

Please allow 3 weeks from the date you ship your defective unit to receive your replacement.

For more information about the Standard Limited Warranty visit:
http://download.kobobooks.com/learnmore/touch_userguides/Kobo_eReader_Touch_Warranty.pdf

Sincerely,
The Kobo Team
Response Via Email (Real M) 04/05/2012 01:14 PM
Hi Anastasia,

Unfortunately, your Kobo eReader may need to be repaired or exchanged. Please provide the answers to ALL questions below in order to proceed with a claim.

Part 1 - Your Contact Information
Name:
Street Name and #:
Apt/Suite/Unit # (if applicable):
Intercom/Entrance Code (if applicable):
City:
State/Province/Territory:
Country:
Zip/Post Code:

Primary Telephone #:
Secondary Telephone #:
Email address of your Kobo Account:

Part 2 – Your Kobo eReader Information

Model of the Kobo eReader (Kobo Original, Kobo WiFi, Kobo Touch, or Kobo Vox):
Colour (On the Kobo Original, Kobo WiFi, and Kobo Touch please look at quilted back. On the Kobo Vox, please look at the sides.):
Purchase date of your Kobo eReader:
Purchase location of your Kobo eReader:
Serial Number located on the bottom of the eReader:
Did you also purchase a Bronze/Silver/Gold extended protection plan from Kobo?:

Once your information has been reviewed, our level 2 support will contact you with options and/or information regarding next steps.

Sincerely,
The Kobo Team

Customer By Phone (Entered by Real M) 04/05/2012 01:04 PM
Customer called in Kobo is frozen basic reset did nothing and could not complete factory reset.

Question Reference #120405-000685
Product Level 1: Kobo Touch
Category Level 1: Return
Date Created: 04/05/2012 01:04 PM
Last Updated: 04/09/2012 02:35 PM

Troubleshooting.

UPDATE July 6, 2012
Kobo did eventually relent once I bumped up my complaint to Management. I was given a PO number and a shipment waybill for FedEx. New Kobo is in hand but to be honest the excitement of eReading has worn off. I am back to ordering real books that I can hold in my hands and not the ebooks that can be held hostage by my Kobo.

Grrrr.

10 comments:

  1. what a joke!

    my mom is going through this now too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. As am I - for the SECOND time. This time with my son's Kobo.

    ReplyDelete
  3. my usb port no longer works and i am under warranty. after being raised to tier 2 service on july 5, 2013 and answering all the required questions, i have heard nothing back since (its july 25)
    This week my email address i use from my university was changed by the university (beyond my control). So last night i tried contacting tier 1 again to get an update (since tier 2 is not responding to anything i have sent them, not even acknowledgement about receiving the info they insisted i provide after already supplying the same info to tier one) and they responded back that since my email no longer matched the one which was originally used they would not provide updates for security reasons (security reasons such as somebody else pretending to be me complaining about a shit product??with the same incident #???). I was told i needed to update my profile using a link that was not actually provided. So i went to the kobo website and logged into my account where i attempted to update my email. The website refused the update saying my email was invalid. So i emailed kobo again to let them know the problems i was having. I got the same email back as before about security issues..... so now i have had to start a new incident about my issues updating my profile so that i can get an update on the other incident i have.....I got another email back saying somebody would contact me in 48 hours. I have an extended warranty from walmart but when i tried to start a claim with them i was told since it was still under manufacturers warranty i would need to deal with them directly UUURGGGG how do i escalate my complaint to a higher up?? anybody know??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. so i had to take the fight to twitter before I could get anywhere. But at least my issue is resolved and they say they have sent me a refurbished e reader. Its a shame that twitter was the only way to get any help. I still probably won't buy the kobo brand again after this experience.

      Delete
    2. How did you use Twitter to help your cause please? I would like to know so I can do the same?

      Delete
  4. I have been using Kobo now for a while, and yes, I broke 2 devices. They aren't very sturdy, also what electronics are, when it comes to spilling. Last year when I replaced my device, I separately bought online an EXTENDED WARRANTY for $40 (CAD) and it makes a big difference this time. After a few emails back and forth where they requested information, proof of purchase, pictures of the broken device they offered right away to ship me a new device with a pre-paid envelope for return of the broken one. And this warranty covers dropping and spilling for 2 years. I would say it is worth it. I was without a reader for only 4 days. so there are no complaints from my side.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This informative post comes out to be the best assistance for dealing with Customer Services issues. Very simple solutions that paves the way for complete removal of errors. Thanks for such info and keep on sharing such posts for online users. click here : kobo troubleshooting frozen screen

    ReplyDelete
  6. This informative post comes out to be the best assistance for dealing with Customer Services issues. Very simple solutions that paves the way for complete removal of errors. Thanks for such info and keep on sharing such posts for online users. click here : kobo frozen screen

    ReplyDelete
  7. If you are looking for a reliable and instant solution to solve the alexa won't connect to wifi error, then you are at the right place. We are a team of dedicated and skilled techies who works 24/7 to provide you best service. To know more visit the website Alexa Helpline.

    ReplyDelete
  8. If you are thinking of upgrading your old toilets suit then you must install a best quality and branded one. NZhomeware is a leading and well-known homeware providing company in Auckland that provides you the top quality, latest designed and long lasting bathroom products at very affordable price. We have a wide range of latest designed toilets suits. You can choose them as per your budget and favourite colors
    .
    toilets

    ReplyDelete